Za’atar is a Middle Eastern herb-spice blend, typically containing thyme, sumac and sesame seeds. It may also include oregano, marjoram, savory and additional spices. Za’atar pairs wonderfully with chicken, and the addition of lemon juice and zest to the mix enhances the lemony notes of the sumac.
- 6 chicken legs (about 2lbs)
- 1/4C extra virgin olive oil, plus more to grease grill
- 1T za’atar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, lightly crushed
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 1Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Combine oil through garlic, coat chicken in mixture and marinade at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours in the fridge.
- 2Allow chicken to come to room temperature for 30-60 minutes. Preheat grill pan or outdoor grill over medium heat. Remove chicken from marinade, season with additional salt and pepper, and discard garlic. Grill for a total of 25-30 minutes, turning as needed, or until charred on all sides and internal temperature registers 165°F. If chicken begins to brown too rapidly before it’s cooked through, lower temperature and tent grill pan with foil or cover grill for remainder of the cooking time. Let rest 5-7 minutes.